Sunday, January 1, 2012

Nia

Shortly before I went to the Center for Change I was reading about their program and came across an activity that I'd never heard of before...it seemed a little "suspicious." I said "what...the heck...is Nia??" It definitely sounded a little too woo-woo. I grew up in a very conservative environment with a football coach and weight trainer as a father and five siblings to shine against. Traditional training and athletics were a big deal in our little community and with the addition of my dad's views and my desire for his attention and approval, I was actively involved. I didn't know much about alternative types of exercise (as apposed to lifting weights, running, calisthenics, and team sports) but I "knew" that things like yoga and dance were for wussies and nuts.

Nia grew on me at the Center but the years after coming home I fell back on traditional exercise and apprehension about less traditional techniques. I think this was largely due to my environment and the expectations and opinions of my dad and others around me. I recently, however, had an experience that has really helped to adjust that last bit of apprehensive attitude towards intuitive movement and fun in exercise. I've been digitizing hours of home videos and ran across some tape of my youngest brother and sister "dancing." The first thought I had was wow, that reminds of me of Nia! I mean, it looked so much like Nia it could have passed for a Nia class if they weren't four years old (albeit it is a bit more sporadic and acrobatic). I recalled their performances and our responses to them. We thought they were cute, athletic, energetic, and talented. I asked myself "why should there be a difference between our attitude toward what these kids were doing and Nia, dance, or yoga? The only difference was that it wasn't called "Nia." It was just a couple of kids having a fun time moving their bodies and burning some energy. I realized that there is really no reason why I should have a different attitude towards doing the same thing myself. The fact that I'm not a kid anymore should not prohibit me from having fun by moving my body and burning some energy! People are always saying that they would love to be as fit as a kid. Well, then, it makes sense to listen to our bodies and move them like one!



No comments:

Post a Comment